Sunday, March 8, 2009

To Be Clean


Before we go to the main point, lets read these verses first.

John 2:13 - 22 (The Message)


2:13 When the Passover Feast, celebrated each spring by the Jews, was about to take place, Jesus traveled up to Jerusalem.

2:14 He found the Temple teeming with people selling cattle and sheep and doves. The loan sharks were also there in full strength.

2:15 Jesus put together a whip out of strips of leather and chased them out of the Temple, stampeding the sheep and cattle, upending the tables of the loan sharks, spilling coins left and right.

2:16 He told the dove merchants, "Get your things out of here! Stop turning my Father's house into a shopping mall!"

2:17 That's when his disciples remembered the Scripture, "Zeal for your house consumes me."

2:18 But the Jews were upset. They asked, "What credentials can you present to justify this?"

2:19 Jesus answered, "Tear down this Temple and in three days I'll put it back together."

2:20 They were indignant: "It took forty-six years to build this Temple, and you're going to rebuild it in three days?"

2:21 But Jesus was talking about his body as the Temple.

2:22 Later, after he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered he had said this. They then put two and two together and believed both what was written in Scripture and what Jesus had said.


John 2:13 - 22 (New King James)
2:13 Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

2:14 And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the moneychangers doing business.

2:15 When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers' money and overturned the tables.

2:16 And He said to those who sold doves, "Take these things away! Do not make My Father's house a house of merchandise!"

2:17 Then His disciples remembered that it was written, "Zeal for Your house has eaten Me up."

2:18 So the Jews answered and said to Him, "What sign do You show to us, since You do these things?"

2:19 Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."

2:20 Then the Jews said, "It has taken forty six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?"

2:21 But He was speaking of the temple of His body.

2:22 Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

Things to ponder
(What I learn from this morning's service)


When we buy our new house, what is the first thing to do? Do we put our furnitures and electronic stuffs there? Do we put our bed and stools there? I don't know about you, but I will clean up my house first. After I clean it up, I will put my furnitures, bed, stools, etc. But the first thing to do is to clean up the house.

It also happens the same with God. We are the body of Christ. The church is the body of Christ. We are The Church. The Church is where God will stay. So we are the place where God will stay. He cleans us first and then He stays.

When He saw the temple full of market, He was mad. What did He does? He made a whip out of strips of leather and clean it all. It is simple, just leather. He used it to clean up the temple. He did it! Why? He wants His home to be clean. He clean it up with a simple little things. He did not use a sword or a hammer. He did not use an axe. He used leather. Isn't it simple?

Until now, He uses simple things to clean us. He wants us to be fresh. He uses our family, our friends, our neighbor, our study, our job, etc. Why? It is not because He is mean to us. It is because He wants us to be clean and fresh everyday. He wants us to be new every morning. This is why we have to give thanks for everything He gave us. He gives the best, not the worst. He doesn't want us to forget to depend on Him on every situation. He doesn't want us to be so practical.

From our point of view, selling doves, etc at the temple actually will help more. The people didn't have to bring sheep from their place to the temple. They just simple bought it there at the temple and use it. But it is different from God's point of view. The easiness of doing something reduce our satisfaction and heart to depend on Him. Why? because it is easy to get sheep and doves and we don't have to bring it from our house far away from the temple. It is like a shortcut for everything. Can you imagine making a sand castle yourself and create a beautiful castle by your hand? Now let's imagine if you own a sand castle by paying someone to make it for you. Which one satisfy you the most? So, do you get what I mean? Do you get the idea? We will put more respect on something which is not easily done.

A brother said, if you have Abram as your father and Sarai as your mother, Maria as your daughter and Peter as your son, you probably will not need God anymore. Everything is perfect.

So, I am thankful for my family, my friends, my boyfriend, my neighbor, my study and my activity. From those all, I know that God is working something on me to make me clean. So may He cleans me everyday and make me brand new everyday. This will make Him more comfortable to live in me.

PS: You could also read this at Cross Written (and they also have free e-books)

Praise Him,


9 comments:

joanne said...

AMEN...

Smilingsal said...

The instant that we accept Him, God moves in. We are not made perfect first; in fact, we are never perfected until we reach Heaven. Isn't it wonderful that our dirt is covered by the blood of Christ? Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Denise said...

Beautifully said my friend.

Clif said...

Good stuff! I needed this. Maybe we all do. You did a good job of getting this message across. I had to smile at one typo. You asked, "What did He does?" I'm smiling and at the same time thinking about your good message.

Shabbywears said...

Love your post! I am so ...so....very thankful that god has cleans me every day! I don't know where I would be in my life...if he didn't...!!!
Your blog is a real encouragement! Have a restful Sunday...Julie

Charlotte said...

I have never heard this scripture explained better, and I have been around for a long time. lol
I think The Message is a really good translation. Makes it really understandable.
Thank you for sharing this with us today.
Blessings,
Charlotte

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

Thank-you for such great scriptures.
Blessings,
Ginger

Melly said...

Thank you for sharing your blog :)

JED-ReVoLuTiA said...

I don't want to be dirty when I'm face to face with the King of Kings.

Post a Comment

Hi!! Thank you for visiting my blog. I am very excited to read your comments. Make yourself at home.